Thursday, July 06, 2006

Wedding Bell(e)s

27th and 28th May 2006

After our pretty soggy start at Niagara, the whole reason for our trip to Canada was upon us - Will and Louise's wedding. Turns out we weren't the only ones who hopped on a plane to join in the fun - Gav's parents also came at the last minute, as did a couple more of Will's friends.

Will and Louise live in Oakville, about 20 minutes outside of Toronto. The main thing it's known for is that the golf club is the venue for the Canadian Open, but on May 27th it was just hosting us as that's where the wedding was. After Joel and Leslie dropped us off at our hotel (basic but very nice) we decided to hit the shops as we were just across the road from the main mall and I still needed some accessories for my outfit. I don't know why we insist on going shopping together because we NEVER buy anything, but there you are. Turns out the mall didn't quite have what I was looking for either so I went and had my nails done instead! We then spontaneously met up with Gav's parents and Liz and Di for lunch. It all got a bit hectic as Gav and I had to rush off to make sure we were ready in time to get to the golf club for about 4pm. Needless to say Gavin had to leave without me as I was having the usual "Oh-my-god-I-don't-know-which-necklace-to-wear" dilemma. I'd bought two at the mall, just to be sure and, of course, I ended up wearing one that I'd brought with me from England. Women!

I just about managed to get ready in time to get to the golf club with about 2 minutes to spare (I thought it was the bride who's supposed to be late!). I almost had a complete panic attack because I couldn't quite figure out where I was supposed to go because of some dodgy signage, but I found it in the end. The golf club has a sort of raised platform thingy with decking for special events and it was here, under a massive white gazebo that Will and Louise were getting married. The golf club is absolutely beautiful and the weather had improved drastically since our rather soggy waterfalls experience. The ceremony all went smoothly, too, no last minute objections or dresses stuck in anyone's knickers. It was really lovely and, of course, Louise looked gorgeous. (The best man wasn't too bad, either! Nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

Straight after the nicely brief ceremony the guests stormed the free bar for a much-needed Pimms and an endless round of photos began. Luckily I wasn't in any of them so I could just concentrate on drinking. Very well organised, I felt. The sun was beating down dangerously what with all that alcohol and empty stomachs so off we went into the club house for the reception. It was with some trepidation that I found out I was to sit at the top table! The Canadians are a bit weird - the parents of the bride and groom get relegated to a table amongst the plebs, but the best man's girlfriend, who's only met the bride once or twice, gets to sit at the top table with the happy couple, the best man and the matron of honour. For a moment it looked like I'd have to walk up there all on my own as well as the bridal party gets its own announcement as it comes into the room, but luckily the matron of honour's husband, who was our MC for the night, was just as shy as me so we snuck in surreptitiously after everyone else was seated.

My favourite dinner of all time was served - buffet! I don't know why people have set meals at functions, it's much better when you can have a bit of everything and as much as you like. There were all sorts of scrumptious things and I think I managed to go back for thirds, but I can't be sure. And, of course, the best thing about a buffet rather than a set meal is that you get to have three desserts. Yum!

I really liked the fact that a lot of things about this wedding were very relaxed and low key. I think we can get a bit too stuck on "the proper way of doing things" in the UK. This all felt really relaxed. Except Gavin, who was jigging up and down with anticipation before his best man's speech. The fact that it was an evening wedding also meant he hadn't really been able to drink all day cos he had to stay sober for his speech, but luckily our MC had the precedings pretty well organised so we didn't have to wait too long for the speeches and Gav was able to have a drink and take off his squeaky shoes that were a couple of sizes too small. (The downside of someone across the atlantic organising a suit for you. And boys being boys, neither Gav nor Will were too specific in their communications about mere trifles like chest sizes and suit cuts...)

Apparently, in Canada it's usual practice after the formal speeches for anyone who wants to say something to grab the mic and go off on one. Thankfully, we were spared that because Will and Louise came up with the idea of making people write limericks that included their names, the reward for which would be a brief toast and a kiss between the happy couple. People got into the spirit of it pretty well and, needless to say, it was the Brits who came up with the dirty ones... (Though not too dirty as there were little people present.)

The Canadians wimped out early despite it not being a school night, which left us Brits showing the staff at the golf club how to have a good time. We danced the night away (Gav's mum taught us some line dancing) and had to be physically removed when the club shut at about 1am. And to top things off, Gav and I got a lift home from the bride, who hadn't had a drink all day and had to drive barefoot because her feet hurt so much!


The next day, Will and Louise put on a BBQ for everyone at their house and we all just basked in the sun, nursed our various headaches with more booze and stuffed our faces till we popped. The kids were mad keen on playing baseball so we had a go at that too. Still don't quite see how it's different from rounders, but there you go. I'd never been on a baseball pitch before, so at least it was another new experience to add to my list!

Back to top